There is a doctor’s office here that everyone recommended us go to, it’s called “The Surgery”. I’m still not sure why they call it that, since i don’t think there are any surgeries actually going on but none the less it’s a doctor’s office. It looks similar to an American doctors office....just a lot dirtier/older. The first time I took Rachel, the doctor wanted to check her temperature and swung out an old school thermometer that you have to put under your tongue. I know I know the horror! Rachel was scared to death of it. She had no idea what he was about to have her do w/ that thing. (she’s thinking throat culture) Needless to say he ended up having to take her temperature under her armpit.

The head doctor at the surgery is an older gentleman from Britain. He is very smart, but has no bedside manner. There was one pediatrician who was working at the office, but she has since left to go back to India. I have not given my kids any immunizations since we’ve been here. Levi will just be a little behind, but I think I’m just going to wait till we come back on furlough. A lot of people have their kids vaccinated here, but I’m just not comfortable with it yet.
So back to the main reason of this post... I hate it when my kids are sick. & low and behold we’ve all been sick this past week. Levi has had it the worst, which I hate, b/c I worry about him getting too dehydrated and the such. We took him in and were told it’s just a bacteria infection. (thankfully no malaria - since we had been out of Kampala recently) I just really worry about if something more major happens what will we do? The healthcare system is not good here, i’ve heard horror stories of hospitals here, so it just makes me nervous. I know that worrying does no good, and i honestly don’t worry about it when we are all fine, but as soon as someone comes down with something, my mind becomes preoccupied with the what ifs. How do you overcome this?
3 comments:
Hope and pray you are all well now. The doctor thing there sounds a little scary. Don't blame you for waiting til you get to the States, which is Easter??? Gaylene
That's funny b/c we ALWAYS take Allie's temp with an old school thermometer. We bought the new "ear" kind but it never seems to get an accurate reading. So we do the under-the-arm-thing every time. If it makes you feel better, every time Allie gets sick, I grab the Baby 411 book her pediatrician gave us, and within 5 minutes, I'm convinced she has the worst disease in the book. And then it's usually just an ear infection :-)
yeah, when the kids were real little, we used an older thermometer, but it was still a digital one, so that you could hold it and it only takes about 30 seconds... but this one was one you couldn't touch and it took about 10 minutes to get a reading :) sorry to hear about Allie's double ear infection!
Post a Comment