Yesterday, Rachel & I got to go along with Jesse to visit a local NGO (non-government organization). It is an amazing Christian organization, which has a lot of smaller programs underneath them. The organizations name is Community Concern Society. (I'm putting their link on the right) It was started by this Sri Lankan woman & an American man (husband & wife). In fact the man is from Lincoln, Nebraska, which Jesse loves. Anyways, their daughter runs one fraction of the organization called Save Lanka Kids. So we were able to go with her to check out what they all do. They are about 15 minutes south of where we are, and they mainly work in the slums...right off the beach.
It was so neat to see how much this organization is doing. From youth meetings, child sponsorship, "catch up" school, medical center, drug abuse meetings, & even a weight lifting outreach. This area was also affected by the tsunami, so they have added even more programs, to try to help the people that lost everything. There also might be a possibility that I might be able to help in some way as well. She mentioned that their preschool teacher was leaving in July, so that I could fill in there, but I've never taught, & I have no idea what I would be doing, but we'll see. We will be getting together with her again soon, & hopefully there might be a way in which I could help out.
No comments:
Post a Comment