
This morning we brought everyone's donations over to Hannah's Hope. (thanks to our homegroup for all the donations!) We emptied out I think about 10 suitcases full of donations & started sorting them. It was great to see everything that people had donated. But even with all those donations, there were things that Hannah's Hope is always lacking in...diapers & formula. They also really need scrubs for the special mothers to wear...So if your travelling soon there's some suggestions for you. :) It was hard too, b/c there were about 40 pairs of shoes there, and a little girl came in to get a new pair of shoes, and we did not have her size. It's hard b/c of course AGCI can't keep up on specifics of exactly what size shoe each child needs, so they say "bring shoes" or "bring pants" but it's hard then when we have 10 pairs of size 3T pants but no size 6 for a little boy. I think it was also hard b/c we were the first travel group to have come since early August, so there hadn't been a lot of donations brought over, but now that people are moving through the courts a little more on a regular basis, donations should be more regular, and if something doesn't fit with one group, the next group will be here in 2 weeks, and hopefully there will be something in that group.
(Abinet with one of the special mothers)This afternoon Almaz had set up a tour at a special hospital in Addis. We decided to leave the babies at Hannah's Hope. Which the special mothers were happy about. I don't think I've talked about the special mothers yet...Hannah's Hope hires women to take care of the children. They are given the appropriate title of "special mothers". They are wonderful. They love these children, and even though they know all these children will leave to go one day with their families, they still completely bond and love on these kids, even though they know goodbyes will be hard. At first when Almaz would mention that we should just leave our kids there, we thought oh the special mothers will think we are being lazy or just expecting them to take them on a whim. But Almaz assured us that the mothers actually love having some time with the kids right before they leave. It's hard on them, if we just come in and take them & don't let them have their goodbyes. So anyway, the special mom's were very happy that they had Abinet for the afternoon. We thank God that Abinet was so loved on and cared for! These women are truly angels!
The hospital was only a couple of blocks from Hannah's Hope. It's called the Hamlin Fistula Hospital. I had never heard of fistula before. So what is it? I've copied below the information from the Fistula Foundation website. (please go there for more information)
WHAT IS FISTULA?
The most devastating of all childbirth injuries
An obstetric fistula develops when blood supply to the tissues of the vagina and the bladder (and/or rectum) is cut off during prolonged obstructed labor. The tissues die and a hole forms through which urine and/or feces pass uncontrollably. Women who develop fistulas are often abandoned by their husbands, rejected by their communities, and forced to live an isolated existence.
More than two million women live with fistula
Eradicated in western countries at the end of the 19th century when cesarean section became widely available, obstetric fistula continues to plague women throughout the developing world. It is estimated that there are 100,000 new fistula cases each year, but the international capacity to treat fistula remains at only 6,500 per year. The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) estimates the world's population of fistula sufferers at more than two million.
Nerve damage and psychological trauma
The WHO has called fistula “the single most dramatic aftermath of neglected childbirth”. In addition to complete incontinence, a fistula victim may develop nerve damage to the lower extremities after a multi-day labor in a squatting position. Fistula victims also suffer profound psychological trauma resulting from their utter loss of status and dignity.
************************************************************************
The hospital itself was very clean & very well run. The gardens were beautiful! The stories of the women are heartbreaking, but it is great to see how 2 doctors gave their lives to helping these women. The explanation leaves out a couple of things that I think is important to know about the women that come to this hospital. For one, most of them are 14 or 15 years old. Most girls are given to men in engagement when they are 11 and then married off at 14/15. Also most of these women were in labor for over 3 days! some up to 2 weeks, just to end up having a stillbirth. So not only are these women dealing with physical pain, but they are obviously dealing with the loss of their child as well. Any way if you want to find out more like I said before go to their website or there is a book about their story. I've just ordered it & can't wait to read it. It's called "The Hospital By the River" by Dr. Catherine Hamlin.
In the evening two couples from Almaz's church invited us over for dinner. The couples are missionaries from America. One of the couples has been over there for about 1 1/2 the other only 4 months. They cooked us an amazing dinner. It was great to hear some of their experiences as well. There is a chance that we might end up in Ethiopia in the future, & so Jesse & I clung to everything they were saying.

Brandon telling another one of his jokes! :)
5 comments:
are you serious? That you guys might live over there one day? I started reading "There's no me with out you"... OH MY. It's opening my eyes to so much.
Where did you guys live before over seas?
Well... I WAS SO EXCITED TO SEE DAY 4.
Thanks for sharing... how is your little baby boy doing?
This is all so interesting. Abinet's picture with the special mom is adorable. Thanks for letting us know all about your trip. Gaylene
I am sooo jelous! I read that book many years ago and that is one of the reasons we chose ET!!! We weren't able to go to the Hospital and we were heart-broken:( Love your blog!!!~Julia
Thanks for sharing your story. I know I have so much respect for Bella's Special mothers-they took such good care of her. What an interesting hospital-I'll have to read that book. I love reading your posts.
Hi there. I found your blog from another one that I read. If I am reading it right, you took your daughter with you to Ethiopia?? If so, I would love to ask you some questions about this. Our agency's program is new and no one has traveled with young children before. My hubby and I are waiting for a referral and are debating taking our 3 year old with us. He is a very good boy and I think he could handle the trip, but not sure about the illness risks. Anyway...I would REALLY appreciate talking with you about this on email. I am at kmoles@fca.org. Thanks.
Kathleen
Post a Comment