All through the process we were told that his name was Abnet. I loved the name, it was different, but yet, not impossible to say. My husband on the other hand, liked the name, but still wanted to give him a new first name, and move Abnet to his middle name. I think I've said this in the past, but just to remind you all, I AM TERRIBLE WITH DECISIONS. So I kept putting it off. We had a short list of about 8 names when we left for Ethiopia. We decided to try to narrow it down to 2 or 3 by the time we landed and just spend some time with Abnet to see what name best suited him.
Well we were in for a little bit of a shock...when we got to the orphanage we found out his name is Abinet. And although I know it's close to Abnet, it was really weird to think we've been calling him by the wrong name this whole time. :) We did feel that Abinet could be really mispronounced...it's hard to write it out how it sounds...but it swayed me more to maybe move it to his middle name.
We also were able to find out what Abinet means --"for a reason". I love it! It's just perfect. So then I was torn again, if we should change it or not. See I told you I'm terrible at decisions.
okay, so to quit boring you all... we finally decided that we would call him Isaac Abinet. Rachel at first didn't like that, she said that she would still call him Abinet...i said that was fine. :) In fact, it's been a little weird to start calling him something different. So we kind of call him both right now. I still have regrets sometimes...am I doing something terrible changing his name? I don't know...Maybe I'm making too much of it?! but anyway now you know.
Isaac Abinet:
6 comments:
That picture is so cute!!! So-how do you correctly pronounce Abinet?
That book about the hospital sounds so interesting. I may just have to go get it tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!
What a cutie pie!! Both names are great names, but I do understand being torn. I love reading all about your trip to Ethiopia!
Michelle
LOVE IT!
I'm so glad you put a picture up of him.
I want a post that says how things have gone since you've been home (can I make that request??) haha.
I want to know ALL THE DETAILS!
Love,
Tracie from TN
I love hearing all about your days also. I love Isaac Abinet's name. and the meaning is so perfect. He is adorable. and we get to see the smiles. Gaylene
I love that you wrote about this. A name is very important and your words remind me of an article in Adoptive Families that talk about honoring the past and claiming the future...I love when a name reflects both! What a wonderful name you lovingly and thoughtfully chose for a wonderful boy!
--tonya
We are going through the name thing too! Just today Hirut told us she wanted to be called Kyah, that was the American middle name we gave her. It is soooo weird to change her name since we have know her as Kyah since June!!! I love the name Issac Abinet, and it is nice that he is so young he will grow up with the name both his families so thoughtfully gave him. s
Post a Comment