One of the first things to get done in the adoption process is your homestudy. We set up our first of three homestudy meetings back in the middle of March. We were told at that time that it would be 3 meetings, 1 per week, and then 3 weeks to write up the homestudy. Well here we are 10 weeks later since the first meeting and still no homestudy. We expected things not to go completely smoothly, but it has been frustrating the last couple of weeks. The main reason we are in a hurry about this is that the Ethiopian courts close for the months of August and September, and we wanted to try to get things done before the closure. We really needed to have our homestudy in by May 1st in order for this to happen. I had talked with our social worker about it, and she said that should be no problem. So after not getting it a week after May 1st, I gave her a call, and asked where she was in the process, and she told me that she was just starting to write it and would have it done by Friday, May 11th.
I was out of town that week, so I was annoyed to find that once I got back she still hadn't sent it. I called her on Friday at 5:45pm, and she got really annoyed with me that I was calling her then, and all she said was that she would talk to me Monday. So today when I talked with her she said she had it done! I'm still waiting to get the email with it, but I am so glad that this part is basically done.
Now our agency and us look it over, and make any changes if needs be. Then we get finalized, notarized copies from her, and send them to the US government to get their approval, which can take up to 9 weeks.... aghhh a lot of waiting! The other copy eventually goes to the Ethiopian government. More on that later. : )
No comments:
Post a Comment