Thursday, April 23, 2009

We Are Here & There

Jesse is in Uganda. Myself and the kids are in Carlisle, England. It's hard to be apart. Got an email from Jesse, i'll post some of it for you....

"So, I'm staring out the window at Kololo Hill, which overlooks the city. It is lush, it is green, and it is not nearly as dirty or loud as I would have expected it to be. Overall, I have to say that Kampala is a cleaner, quieter and more scenic city than Nairobi or Addis, which has been a pleasant surprise.

I just finished my first day of work at the office. I would have written earlier, but my Internet connection was down at the office (and actually the power was out for a good bit of the afternoon), which was not a pleasant surprise. ... The food was good, but it is pretty bland (we probably should have packed some redhot sauce to keep our tastebuds awake).

...I slept on all of the flights between Heathrow and here, and even in some of the airports, but I don't think I slept for any stretch over 90 minutes throughout. I'm dragging tail."

I also got to talk with him on the phone last night. The connection was pretty good! He is tired, and feeling a little sick, but is really excited about working with the people there. We are having a great time here with my parents, but it is weird thinking that he is there experiencing Uganda without us. He even went to a movie last night, and is going bowling tonight.

We've been taking it pretty easy here. Yesterday we went to Hadrian's Wall.

Today we are leaving to go stay overnight at a sheep farm. The kids are so excited. Isaac keeps shouting "baa, baa". Levi is still battling a pretty bad cold. He's not sleeping well and coughing quite a bit, and yet still smiles all day long, what a trooper! Rachel is loving playing school with her Oma, and has entertained us with singing Christmas songs over and over again.

It still hasn't hit me that we have actually moved from Virginia. It just feels like we are on vacation, and will be back soon. I'm waiting for the day when it really does. (poor jesse, when it does)

1 comment:

Erin said...

That's great you get to spend some time with your parents. I will be praying for your transition. You need to post about your overnighter with the sheep :)