Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Introduction Ceremony

One of Jesse's co-workers is getting married, and we got invited to the "introduction ceremony". This is a traditional ceremony of the two families meeting. I believe that traditionally after this ceremony that the man and woman would be considered married, but now that's not the case. They will still have a "wedding" in a church in December. Check out Scott's blog for a low down on how the ceremony went. (no use in repeating what a much better writer has already written right?!)

Here are some things I love and not-so love about the introduction ceremony

1. I love that there are African drummers and dancers that perform throughout the ceremony. Jesse & I told Rachel that she should have that at her wedding. She just looked at us and said NO. But seriously it would be AWESOME!!!!




2. Didn't so much love that it was supposed to start at 2:00, but didn't get underway till 3:45. Awwww African time.

3. Loved the dresses of the women of this tribe. They are from the border of Uganda and Rwanda, and their dress is sort of sari like. very pretty. Unlike the traditional dress of the Buganda tribe, which is what we see around Kampala.

Some of Jesse's co-workers

4. Didn't love so much that it lasted 7 hours. A long time to sit there.

5. Loved that I got to try Ugandan food again. It's something I'm really glad I don't have to eat every day, but it is pretty good to have once in a while.


6. Didn't love once again standing out as the "muzungu" (foreigner) But what are you going to do...yes, I'm white. We even got to stand up and say our names :)

7. Loved seeing all the traditions, and knowing that although it's a "show" now, you can really imagine what this was once like, and still is in the villages.

Gerry & her "King" Martin

8. Didn't really love what I had to wear... see #3 above. I had no idea what to wear, and I have a lady who cooks on Saturdays, and she said that I had to wear traditional clothes..so she ran home to let me borrow hers. Well hers was more of the Buganda version... actually the fabric was beautiful, but really no one can look good in that dress.


9. Loved seeing Jesse wearing the men's traditional dress.

10. Loved seeing Gerry & her man... she had the biggest smile on her face, and just looked beautiful!




Overall it was a really neat experience. Don't think I'd like to go to one every weekend, (see #4) but I am really glad we went to this one, and am really happy for Gerry & Martin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful clothes. and i do love the Fabric in your's Amy. It looks very pretty. Good of both of U. Love Jesse's too. Love Gaylene